Laura is Certified by the Center for Mindfulness at UMass Medical School to teach MBSR. Laura has been a teaching mindfulness professionally since 2002, and has been an MBSR instructor since 2009. She is a dedicated student of Zen Buddhism, and a clinical social worker with 20 years of experience. She has a golden retriever named Louis, who prefers walking meditation.
See Laura’s CV below or learn more about what to look for in a mindfulness educator.
If you are interested in Laura’s clinical social work practice or in financial therapy, please visit Laura Martin, LCSW.
- Bachelor of Social Work (1993) and a Master of Social Work (1996) from Southern Illinois University. Licensed Clinical Social Worker in Oregon since 2003.
Mindfulness Training and Experience:
- Certified Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Teacher through the Center for Mindfulness at UMass Medical School. Certification through UMass is — by design — a lengthy process, one you can learn more about here.
- Additional Training and Experience:
- Teaching DBT, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, a mindfulness-based intervention in mental health since 2002, starting a DBT program in Columbia County Oregon.
- Completed the 7-day MBSR in Mind-Body Medicine, a Professional Training with Jon Kabat-Zinn and Saki Santorelli in 2007. Center for Mindfulness, UMass Medical School.
- Completed the 9-day Practicum in MBSR with Florence Meleo-Meyer and Melissa Blacker in 2008. Center for Mindfulness, UMass Medical School.
- Received supervision and consultation from Florence Meleo-Meyer 2010 – 2014. Center for Mindfulness, UMass Medical School.
- Teaching mindfulness workshops and one-day events since 2009.
- Teaching MBSR since 2009.
- Completed the 5-day training in Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) with Zindel Seigel, Sarah Bowen, and Steven Hickman. January 2013. Center for Mindfulness, UCSD.
- Completed the 8-day Teacher Development Intensive in 2014. Center for Mindfulness, UMass Medical School.
- Completed MBSR Certification in February 2015.
Zen Study and Experience:
- Practicing with Zen teachers Chozen and Hogen Bays in the Zen Community of Oregon since 2004.
- Completed a 3-year intensive study program for Community Zen Leaders in 2013.
- Attended over 20 6-day or 9-day silent, teacher-led meditation retreats at Great Vow Zen Monastery since 2007. I continue to attend these on a quarterly basis when possible, and also attend retreats by other teachers from other lineages when possible.
- Teaching Just Enough: Mindfulness and Money, a one-day class, since 2008. Transforming the Inner Critic, a weekend workshop since 2013.